Wednesday, March 7, 2007

the kindness of strangers

I'm overwhelmed by the warmth, sympathy, support and practical suggestions that you've sent me. It's disheartening to see how many of you have suffered similar losses and my heart goes out to you. It's also extraordinary --to me, at least -- how empathetic people can be -- even people for whom this kind of loss is (fortunately) nothing they've ever had to experience.

I remember, years ago, standing tongue-tied in front of a co-worker who had recently had a miscarriage. I was so afraid of saying the wrong thing that I just couldn't say anything at all. In the end, I stammered out something about how we had all missed her at work and how glad we were to have her back. But I've always regretted not being able to tell her more clearly how sorry I was that she had to endure this kind of pain.

As for me, I know that things will get better. They're better already.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Niobe,
I came to visit by way of Cecily's blog. I am terribly sorry for your loss. I have no words of comfort for you, and they wouldn't be able to reach you where you are, nor lift you up. But please keep writing.