Thursday, April 12, 2007

no words

No-one told me my baby was dead. They didn't need to.

Just before they brought me into the operating room, one of the residents fastened a plastic bracelet around my wrist. It was for identification, she said. They would put a matching one on the baby's wrist. Or her ankle, if her wrists turned out to be too small. I remember the relentless lights of the white room, the needle slipping into a vein and the doctor asking, "Can you feel this? Can you feel this?"

But after that, through the layers of darkness, I remember only one thing with any clarity at all. And that was the faraway feeling of fingers, pulling at my arm and unwrapping the bracelet. So when I woke up in the recovery room and the nurse came in to check on me, the only question I asked her was whether I could have a glass of water.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hated those bracelets when I was in the hospital. Hated them and couldn't wait to get them off. I suspect it was because I was in there for so long.

I was going to ask whether this was a "better" way of knowing than having to be told, but then it dawned on me that I would be asking not only a stupid question, but an irrelevant one.

-Suz

niobe said...

Suz -- Actually, I don't think your question is stupid or irrelevant. Yes, I think this was much better (for me, anyway -- I'm sure others would disagree).

Sara said...

I for sure was the first one to know Natan had died. I was conscious, so to speak, the entire time, and I knew the moment it happened even though he was in the next room, in the NICU. I was delivering the placenta, and all of a sudden I felt terribly, horribly alone. So I knew he was gone.

S said...

You write so beautifully about your experience. Thank you for sharing this.

And WOW -- the title of your blog just says it all.

Nicole said...

I am just so sad for us, so very very sad.

Julia said...

I am really not impressed with your hospital...

jo(e) said...

Heartbreaking.

wannabe mom said...

i am so sorry. if it were me honestly i don't think i would have made the connection. the doc was telling us about our girls' dire condition when they were 3 days old, and if it weren't for my husband's reaction i would not have understood the implications. (most times my brain actually works.)

niobe said...

wannabe mom - It might well be (although I certainly don't remember it) that while I was still groggy from the anesthesia someone did tell me, so, subconsciously, I already knew, which would explain why I was so absolutely sure.

But it might also be something like what happened to Sara, that, somehow, I just sensed that my baby was gone.

susan said...

(o)