Friday, July 27, 2007

apparitions

It's no mystery why I've been conjuring spirits, small sad ghosts with tiny fists, crying thinly in the dark. And I'm not the only one.

Babies who die have a special place in the folklore of many cultures. In old Japanese stories, an abura-akago was an infant ghost who would slip into a house disguised as a curl of smoke, then lick the oil out of the lamps, so that the room went suddenly dark.

Among certain Inuit peoples, if a newborn child was given a name before its death, the baby would became an angiak, a malicious spirit who would terrorize the tribe until they left the place where it had died.

In Scandanavian folklore, babies who died before they could be baptized returned as ghosts called utburds or mylings. At night, taking the shape of a white owl or a black dog, the myling haunted lonely places. When a traveler passed by, the myling jumped on his back and, wailing piteously, begged to be carried to the graveyard to be properly buried. As they approached the graveyard, the clinging myling grew larger and heavier, until it was the size of a cowshed, crushing the traveler to death. Since mylings hated and feared iron and water, the prudent traveler was already ready to unsheathe a knife or jump into a stream.

The psychological truth behind these myths seems clear. The parents' sorrow takes on physical form, whether as an invisible presence that devours light or a weight heavier than anyone can bear. Guilt and anger are transformed into malevolent spirits, seeking vengeance on the living. And the little ghosts, like the babies they had once been, straddle the border between life and death, at home in neither world.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before we lost our son, I used to be haunted by imagined malicious ghosts. I had an absolute terror of looking in the mirror. Now I feel like I just can't fear the dead anymore.

The undead though? As in vampires? Still scare the bejesus out of me.

S. said...

I wonder about this and the traditional/orthodox Jewish prohibition on mourning babies who die in the first 30 days--I know the theological rationales (which I don't much buy but don't think I need to go into here)--but might there also be a fear of mourning that overflows the boundaries of ritual, instead of being channeled by it?

Lori said...

As always, you amaze me with your insight and lyrical writing. You have given me an entirely new perspective on some of those myths and ancient rituals that relate to infant loss.

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

It never ceases to amaze me how similarly cultures react to tragedy. It testifes to the universality of the human experience. I wish people would recognize this instead of condemning perceived differences among people....

Do any of these traditions best fit how you think of the little souls that you lost? Perhaps it even varies daily or by the moment. I hope that your thoughts ultimately become only peaceful.

Sending loving thoughts...

S said...

Lori said it better than I can:

This post is lyrical (and lovely and haunting).

xxoo

Ms. Planner said...

Sending you wishes of peace. A hauntingly interesting, and thought-provoking post, indeed.

The Oneliner (Christina) said...

It is so symbolic of how hard, well really impossible, it is to get away from our history. And how sad the death of a young soul is,mostly for the families, but the community as well.

Beautiful, if emotionally raw, post.

Unpollinated said...

I think the universality in thought shows that sometimes...

We don't want peace.

Peace means forgetting.

We'd rather be haunted and remember than at peace and not remember.

Yankee T said...

((niobe))

Anns said...

great, now I'm gonna have nightmares! (just kidding).

thanks for the info, it's nice to know that we're not alone.

Anns xo

Magpie said...

Those cultural similarities - spanning the globe - just show us how human we all are, all the same at the core. Lovely post about the little lost ones.

Bon said...

the malevolence across the stories surprised me. but then i think about my own malevolence in the first year of my grief - i suppose i just internalized rather than externalized? - and i feel the myths quite differently. and yet still...i wish they ended with peace.

the little ghosts. i hope they find their homes.

Doughnut said...

You haven't told us if you have seen an apparition yet niobe. Have you?

delphi said...

Barenaked Ladies have a song by the same title...

The malevolence surprises me a little, too. I don't know why - it is typical for this type of mythology, isn't it?

niobe said...

Unpollinated: Very interesting thought. Haunting becomes almost comforting, since the alternative -- forgetting -- seems so much worse.

Lee: Nope. And I hope I never do.

bon, delphi: Well, you have my take on it -- that the revenge-seeing ghosts are really a projection of their parents emotions. But I suppose, in general, there probably are more folktales about evil creatures than good ones.

S: I'm thinking about what you've said. It's certainly a less estranging way of understanding the rule.