Sunday, February 10, 2008

all the way home


By the odometer, it's 38 miles to my brother's house, but it seems farther, as I stare at the endless red reflections of tail lights on the wet road and the swing of the windshield wipers. I drive past the dorm where I lived when I was a freshman, past the school I went to in fourth grade, past the liquor store where my mother's boyfriend bought bottles of apple wine. There's the hospital where my brother works and, on the next block, the place where, one Thanksgiving Day when I was learning to drive, our car skidded on the ice and down the hill.

I turn onto the highway and listen to the song my math teacher sometimes played in geometry class and another one that Patrick and I danced to at a party at someone's apartment in New York. The rain has turned to snow, and the sky is the same dull color as the asphalt. I slow down at the exit and take the left at the second set of lights. I'm on the main street, edged with old, crooked houses and dead end signs. My brother's driveway isn't plowed yet and I drive past it and have to back up, looking over my shoulder, my arm on the empty passenger seat. But it doesn't matter, because there's no-one else on the road and my tire tracks are the only marks in the snow.

The downstairs lights are on and, though the porch window, I can see a blanket that our grandmother crocheted, folded neatly over the arm of the couch. The door's unlocked and I push it open and from the kitchen, Mattea calls, "Who's dere? Who's dere?" I take off my sneakers and put my backpack down on the bench next to the mirror and my brother is standing in the hall and he's carrying Mattea, and in the sudden warmth and brightness, I can tell that this is the place where all roads lead, that this where the journey ends, that I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be.

29 comments:

S said...

oh, goodness! how beautiful was this?

(very.)

and the photo! so many different shades of grey -- remarkable.

Magpie said...

Nice to have that - that place where it's just right to be.

Tash said...

I wasn't sure with the lead up if it was going to be extremely uncomfortable or downright slipping on an old sweater. Glad it was the latter.

Aurelia said...

I'm so glad for you, so very very glad.

the dragonfly said...

I'm glad you have a place like that, and to pass so many familiar places on the way...

Anonymous said...

It sounds like home.

Mrs. Collins said...

While the drive home for me would be much different; tall live oaks, grass not sure whether to awaken with the spring like temps, outcroppings of Texas limestone, the store where my dad buys his lucky "scratch off" lotto tickets which have failed to be lucky.. but the feeling upon arriving is exactly the same as yours. It's always the place I was meant to be.

90daystogreen said...

I have been reading your blog regularly. This post, as well as all the others, are beautifully written.

I just wanted to tell you that I wept when I read about your babies and that you have given them a voice through your writing.

Judy

Anonymous said...

I just love your writing, and feeling that come with it!

Charlynn

thirtysomething said...

Such a vivid post, Niobe.

You have such a talent for words it astounds me and fascinates me.

The last part, about your brother's home, the warm atmosphere, bright little Mattea ~ simply beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Niobe.

Maggie said...

Stunning. The whole thing...just stunning.

Betty M said...

Beautiful indeed. I loved this post and it is good to hear you sound happy.

M said...

Beautiful. I hope that I too, one day, finds my journeys end...

Unknown said...

What poetry, that brought tears to my eyes. You have such a gift.

Lori said...

I'm glad. So very, very glad. I hope those feelings remain.

k@lakly said...

Welcome home, Niobe.

Angela said...

god, that sounds good.

Awake said...

Beautiful, so artfully written.

Bon said...

i know that all things broken seldom heal overnight...and yet there is a tone in this, Niobe, i've never heard from you before.

i hope the peace and sense of belonging carry beyond the immediate. and i am glad you felt you were where you were supposed to be, even for a bit.

Maddie's Mom said...

I'm so happy you're in such a wonderful, beautiful place. You really are an artist of words.

Amy said...

Glad you made it to where you know you are supposed to be.

Angel Mom said...

Beautiful.

E. Phantzi said...

"Swinging from the branch of a broken family tree" (from a song by Edie Brickell - what the photo evoked for me). Glad you feel embraced by the "sudden warmth and brightness."

Antigone said...

I've never had that. My family has always been estranged. I've moved around the world never staying anywhere longer than a year. I'm envious damnit.

Julia said...

The warmth of this. It made me smile for you. I am glad this weekend was so right.

(BTW, this is sort of a vision, minus the many early memories, for why I lobbied my sister to move to the city where I live.)

Amelie said...

Wonderful. I'm glad you have them.

christina(apronstrings) said...

i love the story and the picture. i am glad that, for once, you felt welcome in a family member's home. (that's the feeling i've gotten. but maybe i mean that just with regards to your mother?)

Christine said...

i'm sorry about your step brother's mother. but it sounds like his home and family loves you and you them