Monday, May 7, 2007

the monster under the bed

After I read that one of the candidates in the recent French presidential election had called the other "the bogeyman of the unemployed," I began to wonder how you say "bogeyman" in French. Here's what I found.

Sometimes he's known as "le Croque Mitaine" (the Mitten Biter), perhaps from his habit of nibbling at fingers left carelessly hanging over the side of the bed. In another incarnation he's "le Père Fouettard," (Father Whipper) who travels with Saint Nicholas, carrying a bundle of switches and a large sack on his back. Unlike St. Nick's, however, the sack of le Père Fouettard is empty -- at least until he stuffs it full of bad children who are never seen again. In Quebec, the bogeyman is called "le Bonhomme Sept Heures" (the Seven O'Clock Man), named for the time he starts to make his rounds, looking for children still out playing in the street.

I saw the bogeyman once. I woke to the sound of tapping at my window and there he was, perched in the tree branches, his face and body the color of bark, his claws in his mouth. I watched him for a while, then went back to bed. I didn't sleep, but lay on my back, my eyes squeezed shut, conscious of my breath as it went in and out, willing it not to stop.

6 comments:

Doughnut said...

No night light Niobe to scare the bogeyman away? I use to call them the "weepers" who lived in the attic and came down at night through the electrical outlets. Scared the pants off me!

JW said...

That totally creeped me out... Obviously I have some deep dark fears of the bogeyman that you just reminded me of, eeek.

Caro said...

I didn't see the bogeyman but my little sister did.

S said...

OK, now I know I like you. Your disquisition on ways to refer to the bogeyman in French -- so clever.

I love languages.

And, speaking of language, this is written so damn well.

Sara said...

I had rules - if I keep my appendages under the sheet it won't see me. If I run to and from the bathroom and don't look in the mirror, it won't catch me. It only wants to catch you if it can sneak up on you, so if I keep my back to the wall, I'll see it coming. If it can't hear me, it can't find me. All sorts of rationalizations. Even today, actually, when I'm out alone after dark I'm much more afraid of vampires and werewolves than I am of people.

niobe said...

Leroy D: Fortunately, it never occurred to me that creatures could come in through the outlets. How scary that must have been.

Sara: I wish I'd thought of some of your rituals. Anything to keep the monsters away.

Slouching M: Thank you for the compliment. That's so nice of you.