Friday, June 29, 2007

where we went


It was a long drive, but we're here at last. My mother's made raspberry-rhubarb crumble and orange-rhubarb jam, but what I like best is eating rhubarb raw. Ever since I can remember, my mother's warned me that rhubarb leaves are poisonous and when once, without noticing what I was doing, I took a bite of one, I sat by the fireplace and waited to die.

In the backyard, besides the rhubarb, there's a pergola covering a brick-lined path that leads to a round fountain with water spouting in the center and, at the other end of the yard, a tiny waterfall splashing into a tiny pond. In the spring, my mother tells me, the pond was full of frogs, but we can see that they've all disappeared. The peonies are over, but there's astilbe, all ferny and feathery, and a trellis of clematis that my mother says she grew from seed.

Tomorrow's the book sale and Sunday's the parade and sooner or later we'll have to walk down to the fair by the river, but right now, all that's left to do is clear the table and admire Tibby the cat and check the back of the refrigerator one more time to see if there's any leftover raspberry-rhubarb crumble.

16 comments:

S said...

love that photo of the fence!

painted maypole said...

beautiful. hope your time there is as relaxing as it sounds.

delphi said...

That sounds really, really tasty. And relaxing. And gorgeous. I hope this home-time is good for your soul.

Julia said...

That sounds worth the drive a couple of times over. Hope you found the leftovers before anyone else did. :)

Ruby said...

Sounds like the beginning of a very nice, relaxing weekend.

I like the chair picture.

Anonymous said...

Funny you should put a pic up of a garden fence. It's given me an idea...

M said...

Yummm... rhubarb...

Love the pics.

Furrow said...

I've never, ever eaten rhubarb. I doubt any of my family members have ever eaten it. You don't see it around here. Regional differences, eh? Kooky.

thirtysomething said...

Mmmm. Rhubarb. I love rhubarb anything. Never had it raw though.
The pics are great.

BasilBean said...

There are some leaves (not sure what plant it is) that I found once when I was about 5 or 6 that were very sour--I loved them. My uncle saw me chewing on them and told me they were poisonous and would make my tongue fall out. I was so distraught and completely expected it to happen. I'm not sure how long I waited before I realized that he had lied to me. Prior to that it never occurred to me that adults might lie to children.

It's nice to hear that you are enjoying a relaxing weekend:)

Bon said...

i loved the story of you by the fireplace as a child, waiting to die. something in that earnest, serious fatalism and shouldering of burden...i like that quality in you still. the child becomes the woman and all that.

we at at our inlaws this weekend, and the places sound similar. good, somehow, to see things growing well. and rhubarb, plenty.

Mrs. Collins said...

It sounds beautiful. I'm trying to close my eyes and picture it (tastes and smells too), but I can't because I'm missing information about the weather. Just tell me the approximate temperature and humidity and then I can have a vacation without leaving my house.

niobe said...

Monica: the weather is pretty close to perfect, maybe 75 degrees or just a little warmer, with breezes off the river.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect spot for a weekend away. Love the pics!

Magpie said...

Lovely. Is it where you grew up?

I made a rhubarb upside down cake for dessert tonight...

Anonymous said...

mmh, rhubarb. My grandma makes the best rhubarb-strawberry-jelly. Unfortunately, I haven't found any here on the market, maybe it is not native to this area (rhubarb, of course, not jelly).