Sunday, July 22, 2007

inconstancy

I hadn't planned to spend large chunks of yesterday reading The Deathly Hallows, but, as it turned out, that's exactly what I ended up doing. My sister-in-law bought the book on her way home from work and it sat, face down and unread, on the kitchen table. I had already looked at an online chapter-by-chapter summary and felt oddly guilty about not reading the book itself. So I picked it up and read it: first the end, then the very beginning, then pieces of the middle, then the beginning, starting where I had left off, then the end again.

I paid less attention to what I was actually reading than to trying to come up with ways of thinking about it. Mainly, I reached the highly unoriginal conclusion that what's remarkable about fiction and one of the main ways it diverges from real life is how consistent everyone is. If a character in a book is kind, honest, and trustworthy, he generally stays that way. If Character A is fond of Character B, that generally doesn't change all that much either. The reader's understanding of the character's motives or actions might change, but the story depends on a certain underlying predictability. Now, I realize that there's such a thing as character development or a character arc, where someone changes or grows or evolves over the course of the narrative. But those changes are generally incremental, spurred by events or realizations and the character moves in a steady line along a well-defined track. He doesn't swing back and forth like a pendulum or spin round and round like a top.

Real people are different. They change without warning. They do and say and feel things you never would have expected. Someone calls you on the phone and tells you that he never really loved you. Your best friend does something incomprehensible, unforgivable and you think: "I never really knew her at all." Because, I've decided, one of the problems with life is its lack of a coherent theme or plot. You think you're in a musical comedy, when, all of a sudden, they wheel out the set for a Jacobean revenge play. There's a dagger in your hand and someone's hiding behind the curtains and you know that it's just a matter of time before the body count starts its inexorable climb.

15 comments:

S said...

I agree. We watched Dr. Strangelove for the umpteenth time last night, and the hubs told me that the guy who played the pilot who straddled the bomb down to the ground was not told whether he was in a comedy, drama, or tragedy. He was simply told to learn his lines and read them when the time came.

We don't know what genre our lives are supposed to be. Or maybe it's that the genres keep changing on us. We keep getting sucker punched.

Missing_one said...

Wow....and yes..and just wow

Lori said...

Yes, real life, and real people, are much more muddled.

I am still rattled by all of the ways my mother has changed since my dad's death. I keep wondering if some of the changes will soften with time, or if this is simply who she is now without my dad to balance her. I understand why she can't be the person she was before, but the immature part of me wishes we could go back. I liked it when things were more consistent, like fiction.

Bea said...

If a character in a book is kind, honest, and trustworthy, he generally stays that way. ... The reader's understanding of the character's motives or actions might change, but the story depends on a certain underlying predictability.

Gah! Those two sentences basically sum up everything I was trying to say in a VERY long post I just wrote about Deathly Hallows. Oh well - I'm going to post it anyway. I never claimed that concision was one of my virtues - and I might as well be consistent.

M said...

Honestly Niobe, I think you're much smarter than me! I spent the weekend reading The Deathly Hallows, beginning to end - careful not to skip ahead and ruin anything - and when I shut the book when I'd finished reading, none of those deep and analytical thoughts came to my mind. I had been entertained and involved, but I didn't go any further than that.
Then I read your post, and you make so much sense! Real people scare me, maybe that's why I like to lose myself in a fantastical plot... x

Anonymous said...

I haven't finished it yet, but was conscious today of how uncomfortable HP makes me. It's so hard to see how we'll ever get to a real happy ending. The real message I get from the books is that every authority that you have ever trusted will be flawed; all your family will be swept from you one by one; there are good things and comforting things but they are frighteningly shallow-- and the older you get the easier it is to realize that you can touch the bottom.

For the last few books, the redemption has been weak and unconvincing and even if evil is finally conquered here, it is hard to imagine that it can dispel the looming notion of history repeating. I think Harry might get his happy ending of one kind or another, but won't it always be like decorating the bomb shelter?

I can't say any of this without sounding pretentious & I'm curious if I still feel this way after I finish the book.

Have you read Holy the Firm, by Annie Dillard? Some of the same notions, but without the fictional characters and the restorative three-act arcs.

Aurelia said...

Frumiousb, finish the book!

Trust me, it makes sense later as it gets wrapped up. Yes, our authority figures have feet of clay and screw up their lives. It's life.

Niobe, I don't think real people change that way at all. They are who they are, and no we can't see their faults as easily as we think we can. And they do terrible things to us, and we feel betrayed. But that doesn't mean they had suddenly changed.

As for plots, my life has one. Tragedy...from the first moment I was conceived on forward to the present. Occasionally I get a little break so the ushers can sweep up the aisles and everyone can stretch their legs, but in the end, it's a tragedy.

Only you know the permanent theme of your life.

Anonymous said...

...or, like, you think you're playing the Ingenue, and then on opening night they dress you up as the Bitter Old Crone and briskly push you out on stage. But it turns out the show is actually improv comedy. In Finnish. And every time you manage to sneak back into the wings, someone drags you back out...

And I love frumiousb's term, "decorating the bomb shelter." Love it.

I haven't finished Deathly Hollows yet, so FOR THE LOVE OF GOD don't say anything more!!

Mrs. Collins said...

Yes, very true. I've tried to hand out "scripts" for how I want the people in my life to act, but since they have their own notion of free will, they refuse, go figure. Life would be a lot easier if everyone just did what I said.

Katie said...

Totally agreeing with you. I love the Harry Potter books, the first one came out in the UK when I was aged 12, so just older than the target age group. I've grown up with Harry. As the book's ending I'm starting to get to the similar stage of my life as he did (trying not to reveal plot!).
Maybe the only character in the book that doesn't show the consistency you talk about are Snape and Malfoy, particularly at the end.
Either way I love the books, I keep going back to them every time I want an escape to a life more simple, and feel like a bit of fantasy.

Caro said...

I bought it at the airport on the way home yesterday so haven't got very far yet.

Oh and by the way thanks for the Rødgrød med fløde post now at least I know what it is when a Dane gets me to try and say it (again).

Dr. Grumbles said...

I merely noticed that the surviving characters all went on to have lots of kids with apparently no problems.

But, yes, fiction is wonderful because it is, well, fiction. A more structured and predictable (or at least explainable) version of life.

Anonymous said...

Nope, I finished it, and I still don't buy the happy ending. It feels tacked on and lifeless-- tying up the romantic loose ends, rather than any of the more interesting parts of the characters in question. The flayed boy weeping under the seats at the station was an ending closer to the reality of the sacrifice that Rowlings was building. And I'm pretty sure that my earlier comments still stand.

painted maypole said...

ahh... i could have read this before, no HP spoilers. and yes, so true in real life, this sudden revealing of a part of someone yue never saw coming.

Anonymous said...

I do see your point, and I'm wondering whether real people actually are different, or if we just know more about those in the books, because most of them are not limited to the perspective of one person and all the things we don't [want to] notice. Or maybe both.