Thursday, December 13, 2007

the year's midnight*


Today is the feast day of St. Lucy, whose name means light and who is the patron of blindness and vision. Like so many virgin-martyrs, Lucy was betrothed against her will, betrayed by her spurned suitor, miraculously survived numerous attempts to torture or execute her, and finally, died for her faith. Under the old Julian calendar, St. Lucy's Day was the shortest day of the year, celebrated in Scandinavia with saffron bread and girls wearing crowns of candles, a promise in the darkest part of winter that the light would return.

Every saint has an attribute, a symbol that commemorates an episode from his or her life or death: Catherine, the wheel on which she was broken, Barbara, the tower in which she was imprisoned, Roch, the dog who brought him bread. Lucy, as in the picture above, is often depicted as carrying a plate with her own eyes, put out either by the Romans or, in some versions of the story, by Lucy herself.

Which explains why someone (okay, it was me) was dancing around the kitchen last night singing "eyes on a plate, eyes on a plate, eyes on a plate, eyes on a plate" to the tune of Ring Christmas Bells. (Check out the cool techno-video below if you can't quite recall the melody). It's actally kind of catchy.





* This post’s title comes from the first line of a poem by John Donne, A Nocturnal on Saint Lucy's Day, Being the Shortest Day. Go read it. Then read it again.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, how can she have eyes on a plate (snakes on a plane, Christ on a cracker) if they're still in her head?

This must be why religion doesn't work for me.

niobe said...

Julie: Well, the story goes that G-d ultimately restored her vision, giving her new eyes. The creepy symbol, however, was too striking to give up.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I grew up non-Catholic, and after I married a recovering one, I became fascinated by the lives (and deaths) of the saints. I checked out all sorts of books about saints and martyrs from the library.

Love the "Santa Lucia" song, too (the somewhat operatic one).

christina(apronstrings) said...

it makes me happy to think that you might be happy and hopeful, even if they turn out to be fleeting.

Magpie said...

I love that carol. And I love that you were dancing around your kitchen singing goofy lyrics to it.

Thanks for the Donne poem.

My favorite Santa Lucia scene is the one in The Ref - do you know that movie??

Beruriah said...

Thank you for making me laugh today. I needed it. I'm going to think of my own morbid verses to the tune of Ring Christmas Bells to sing as I clean my bathroom again.

Julie Pippert said...

I know a lot of people baking cookies today. That's yet another twist on the eyes on a plate.

That is some illustration.

Julie
Using My Words

Aunt Becky said...

When I was a child, I was always dressed as Santa Lucia around the holidays. They drew the lines at lighting the candles on the headdress, though.

Probably was wise.

Ruby said...

How do you know this stuff?

I'm betting you didn't wake up one morning and decide to google; "Eyes on a plate."

I love always learning something new here.

LawMommy said...

You know, when I was a good Swedish-American girl child, and put a wreath on my head and served breakfast to my parents in bed on St. Lucia's Day, NO ONE ever mentioned anything about the poor girl having her EYES gouged out. (shudder). Mostly I was upset because my parents wouldn't let me light the candles in the wreath in my head. (Which, considering I am a clutz with horrible luck, probably would have resulted in me setting my own eyes on fire or something...)

G

painted maypole said...

the whole eyeball thing has always freaked me out a bit, and do you know, I never made the connection between St. Lucy and St. Lucia? duh.

M said...

I have got a fit of the giggle imagining you singing and dancing around to that... to freaking funny! x

Maggie said...

Eyes on a plate....how appetizing!

Sometimes saints are just so weird!

Jenny F. Scientist said...

Also, her supposedly uncorruptible body, on display inside a silver case not a hundred yards from the train station in Venice, is quite disturbing.

Antropóloga said...

Yeah, she put out her eyes to avoid being seductive to her equally-chastise boyfriend. Those virgin martyrs--they'd do ANYTHING to avoid sex!

Antropóloga said...

Equally-chaste, I mean.

Tash said...

Wow, outdoes my favorite, St. Lawrence, he of the bbq grill. Not to mention patron saint of chefs, which cracks me up. When I was in Italy I tried desperately to track down a book of saints and their symbols -- one is lacking. I think you should look into this.

thirtysomething said...

One of my favorites for sure. And the idea of you dancing around your kitchen singing that phrase makes me smile.;)

Christine said...

i grew up catholic and was always fascinated by saint lucia/lucy. those eyes creeped me out.

and the weird thing: my daughter brought me breakfast in bed while wearing a crown of paper candles she made. she learned of saint lucia (not the eyes on a plate part) in school yesterday.

Running on empty

Nicole said...

Now I have that damn song in my head!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I could have seen that dance...

Lides said...

Thank you, thank you, for the reminder of the Donne poem.