Unsurprisingly, despite many long discussions (most of which rapidly degenerated into vicious squabbles), we just haven't been able to find any common ground on a girl’s name.
Can you, O wise and powerful Internets, help?
A few points to consider:
- I’m not a fan of most nicknames, but I realize that they’re pretty much inevitable, so if I don’t like the most common nickname(s), even if I like the full name, I’d rather choose something else.
- I want a name that’s relatively easy to say and spell.
- Because the surname we're going to use is a common English word, a first name that's also a word or a place name (ex: Scarlett, Savannah) tends not to work.
- We’re only looking for a first name. The middle name is not in play, because we’ll be selecting one from a limited list of family surnames.
To get an idea of my taste, check out the totally awesome old lady names in the comments to one of my previous posts
Also, to point you in the right direction, here are a couple of lists:
Names That I Love, But Certain Unnamed Members Of My Household Have Rejected
- Augusta (I realize this violates my no-place-name rule)
- Octavia (nickname Tavia or Via)
- Cordelia (though I'm not all that fond of the nicknames Cordy or Delia
- Charlotte (mostly because one of us used to know a girl whose nickname was Charlotte the Scarlet Harlot)
Beautiful, Wonderful Names That I *Should* Like, But For Various Idiosyncratic Reasons Don't Really Care For
- Elizabeth: The full name is lovely, but it's a mouthful and I'm not really feeling any of the nicknames, both the common (Liz, Beth, Betsy, Elissa) and the more obscure (Tibby, Zibby, Sabeth)
- Amelia (can’t get over fact that it means “limbless” in
LatinGreek. I know. I know.)
- Adelaide (I just see “laide,” meaning “ugly” in French. Plus it violates my no-place-name rule)
- Antonia (too hard to pronounce: An-TONE-ee-a or An-toe-NEE-a?)
- Beatrix/Beatrice (I actually do like this name a lot, but the nicknames Bea or Trixie don't work for me)
So, given those parameters, won't you please, please leave a comment with the one perfect name?