Tuesday, May 29, 2007

tmtc

If you wait long enough, it seems that almost every fad, no matter how odd or dubious its aesthetic value, eventually makes a reappearance. Bellbottoms came back and so has stringing together long chains of initial letters.

In certain newspapers in the 1830s and 40s, it was very much the fashion to sprinkle stories with acronyms* such as GTDHD (give the devil his due), RTBS (remains to be seen) and SP (small potatoes). Sometimes, for added humoristic effect, the terms abbreviated pseudo-uneducated misspellings, like KY for "know yuse," meaning "no use." In fact, the most widely accepted derivation of OK is that it originally stood for "oll korrect," an intentionally incorrect spelling of "all correct."

Obviously, this trend has returned with a vengeance, surfacing on the web everywhere, with expressions like ROFLMAO, NAK, IOIYAR, STFU. Probably this shorthand served the same function in 19th century as it does today, acting as a kind of in-joke, cementing a sense of being a group with a shared set of references. The vocabulary acts as a shibboleth in something very close to the term’s original sense, when the Gileadites used “shibboleth” as a password, because their enemies, the Ephraimites, didn't know how to pronounce “sh.”




*Technically, an acronym is a word formed from initial letters (NATO, laser). Since in these abbreviations the letters are (I think) pronounced individually, they don’t exactly qualify as acronyms. But close enough.

13 comments:

Bon said...

i didn't know that was the origin of shibboleth. cool.

i think i'll wander around saying shibboleth all day, now.

Magpie said...

You are a fount of fascinating information.

S said...

What magpie said. And remember signing letters to other little girls in the seventies by writing "SWAK" (sealed with a kiss) or "DDAIWD" (don't do anything i wouldn't do) Also LAOIS (love and other indoor sports)?

or were you a baby in the seventies? i just realized i don't know how old you are...

Lori said...

And the problem is that I am so often on the outside of the "in-joke." I spend way too much time trying to figure out these internet acronyms, usually with no luck.

I appreciate so much the people who simply type out exactly what they mean to say. It may not save them time, but it sure saves me a lot of time!

DD said...

I'm still trying to figure out TMTC. I also remember writing a post just to see if someone could tell me what the heck IMHO meant.

Now I am not one to ever write ROFL or LOL. Instead my blog is peppered with IUI, ART, IVF, hCG, P4, E2, etc.

niobe said...

dd -- That's a great point that I hadn't even thought of -- the whole infertility/assisted reproduction set of acronyms.

As for TMTC, it's not a *real* acronym. I made it up just to be kind of self-referential and to see if anyone would try to figure it out. (it stands for "the more things change. . .")

pengo said...

SNAFU, in my humble opinion.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I had no idea! Thanks for sharing this with us, and for making me a little smarter.

S said...

I've tagged you. Come by my site if you want, or ignore if you want.

Doughnut said...

BTW :) Very good post niobe. I like acryonums but only if I know what they mean or can figure it out. Nothing like a good mystery!

Ruby said...

I am acronym challenged. I'm still working on DH.

Caro said...

I didn't know that. I love learning stuff like this.

Aurelia said...

I remember learning what MILF means, and died of embarassment. Sometimes I think these things are good for the shorthand of writing, and other times, not so much...